Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Chapeau!

Sorry for the long hiatus but Gregario Forza has been amongst the tifosi watching some excellent bicycling racing. So there is about two weeks of the Giro and a Tour of California to throw out some chapeaus, good games, and maybe a slap on the behind or two. 
First of all Chapeau! to Luke, aka the Commish, for lining up and finishing the “Hipbreaker” stage of the Tour de Trempealeau. The Commish was seen dominating the bluffs of southwest Sconny and according to him; he finished just ahead of an old guy and a fat chick. I would have liked to see him go for the Laterne Rouge but he was just too fast on the climbs. Chapeau! Commish.  Way to represent Team Wiskota.
Also, Chapeau! to Team Volpe director, Pat, and Bill the Neo Pro for the completion of the Alamonzo. Maybe the toughest 1 day race in the U.S, this is definitely an impressive feat for Team Wiskota. Chapeau! boys. Chapeau!
Chapeau! to Taylor Phinney for being only the third American to wear the Maglia Rosa. Dominant opening TT and had 3 days of hell to try to keep it. I can’t wait to watch this young man develop to be the greatest classics racer America has had since, well, George Hincapie.
Chapeau! to Joaquin Rodriguez, El Purito has had 2 TT’s and actually took time on his rivals. The Giro is now just heating up but has J-Rod done enough to win this thing? Don’t count him out but the Stelvio and one more race against the clock are looming in the coming days.
Chapeau! to Ryder Hesjedal, the Climbing Canuck, the Weight of a Nation and the first Canadian to wear the Maglia Rosa. I really like this guy. He is tough, tactically smart, and takes chances. When he jumped on Basso during stage 14 it showed that he is definitely a contender for the GC in this race. Oh Canada………. Man, I love maple syrup!
Chapeau! to Mark Cavendish. Cav has shown, once again, that he is the fastest man in the world. The last few years I have felt like he was a product of a great lead out train. However, since the Worlds, I have to say that he is winning most of the races because he is just so fast. The Manx Mouth is truly the best sprinter in the world. Ever? Discuss……..
Chapeau! to Peter Sagan. The Terminator won everything but the overall in California. He was fast, in fact fast enough to win 5 stages and to place second in another. Thank God for Mt. Baldy or else we would have had to rename the ToC to the Sagan Gran Fondo Race Series, or the US Pro Tour Challenge, more on that in an upcoming Panache. I have to admit, although I don’t like to watch the Commish stack points like hot cakes, I do really like watching this kid race. I figure I better like it because he will win a lot over the next decade. Is this a keeper league?
Chapeau! to Robert Gesink. The Condor of Varsseveld has finally put all that skill to a result. I have been tough on this guy ever since he was named a potential Tour contender by a Mr. Eddy Merckx. I just never saw it. I know the guy has had many high placing’s in the Vuelta, Tirreno, and even a 6th place in Le Tour in 2010. However, I just didn’t see it. Now my eyes have been open by seeing the Condor open up his wings and soar to victory on Mt. Baldy Road.  That was very impressive and that immediately puts him in the contenders list for this year’s Tour, more on that in the upcoming Panache. Chapeau! Condor, Chapeau!
This week’s contra-performance goes to Frank Schleck. Dude? Really? C’Mon man! First, blaming Rasmussen for being caught out in a Grand Tour, weak sauce; no other contenders were far enough back to be caught out by water bottle carriers and gregarios. Second, dropping out of a Grand Tour due to an injury in which your team director and doctors don’t see as an issue is well, weak sauce.  Finally, quitting a grand tour should be the hardest decision a bicycle racer ever makes. I know this isn’t the Tour, however, this is a grand tour, an honor, a privilege that many professional cyclists dream about their whole careers. Frank, don’t bring that sauce to this state fair, because it’s weak. Go home to your little brother. I’m sure he misses you. We’ll see if Frandy Schlecks are ready for July. I hope so, cuz they seem to be putting a lot of stock into a race with a lot of TTing. Last I checked, they were no good at this discipline.
Forza!

1 comment:

  1. First, thanks for the Chapeau. I am now in the middle of my rest period. I look to peak twice this season. Next target the South Side Sprint. In theory it should better suit my skills.
    Second, I don't think we van stress enough how hard the Almanzo must be. 8-10 hours in the saddle. That shit's nuts. Patrick even placed pretty high.
    Third, T o C was cool, but the Giro is bomb.
    Fourth, Cav is the best right now, but he needs to keep it up for a few more years to be in the league of Zabel and Cipi. Still, very impressed he looks like he is going to finish the Giro. If he finishes the Tour as well I will have to eat my words. Also, with a double grand tour season in his legs Cav may turn into an even scarier rider in the future.
    Fifth, Sagan is dominant. Green jersey at the Tour? Also, we should have made Grand Tour jersey's worth more points.
    Sixth, Gesink at the Tour? For Mike;s sake I hope so. And for us. The more contenders the more exciting.
    Lastly, I cannot agree more with the contra performance. Just when I start to think it is only Andy that I hate I am reminded why these guys suck so hard. Nice article.

    ReplyDelete