Friday, February 17, 2012

Panache p/b Gregario


Strategery
 



We are on the cusp of greatness. To attempt a cycling fantasy season like no other. One tied to the already controversial and inefficient UCI point system. The World Tour is already underway with Gerrans winning at the Tour Down Under, Boonen winning at Qatar, and now Sagan primed to take Oman. Just around the corner is the classics season. Het Nieusblad, Milan-Sanremo, the cobbles, the Ardennes, I can hardly wait. All the excitement of a new cycling season and now we embark on the first ever Wiskota Fantasy Cycling Season. Which has me thinking? How the hell am I going to pick my team? Heavy on the classics? Grand Tours? Daniel Martin? Here are a few of my thoughts on the subject.
Gilbert will be picked #1 overall. But who will be picked #2? With Contador out of the mix and the emphasis on time trialing during the tour, my money is with Cadel Evans. Cadel could make a run during the Ardennes classics and has to be the Tour’s favorite.
If Gilbert and Evans go 1 and 2, who is picked 3-5? Without sharing too much of my big board, I will say this, Joaquin Rodriguez should get a long look at 3. The Schlecks have to be near the top, I’m sure the Commish will be taking them, Nibali, Scarponi, Sanchez (Luis Leon or Sammy), Martin (Tony or Daniel), Wiggo? I just don’t know. I do know this, the American Tours will shake things up so don’t forget about Levi and Horner. Both could be major players on their home turf, and again, Tour - Contador + time trialing = wide open results. Did I leave someone out? Maybe I meant to………..
How do I manage the transfers? I’ll be honest with you. I don’t know. My plan going in is that I will pick my team based solely on UCI point at the end of the year. I will plan to have my guys throughout the year and will use the transfers to replace injured riders, bad form, and to maybe find that diamond in the rough. Who knows, Gorka Izagirre could be a Tour surprise and a favorite for the Vuelta. I don’t know.  I’m pretty sure Cobo was not a hot pick before last year’s Spanish tour.
All in all this should be an adventure and another great way to watch this year’s big races. Enjoy the season.
Forza!

No comments:

Post a Comment