Friday, February 1, 2013

Chapeau!


The most familiar sight of 2013 TdU

Chapeau! to the Tour Down Under. Now featuring the corkscrew climb, which gives the riders another stage to gain time in the GC. If we could get a TT, this race would really be something to watch. That is if we could get a decent stream around here. 22 minutes of clips just don't do it. (contra-performance NBC?)

Chapeau! to the little shit upstart, Tom-Jelte Slagter. Not only did he win the TdU, dominate the 2 climbs, but this dude has the coolest nickname in the peloton: the Butcher. The Butcher slaughtered Geraint Thomas on Old Willunga and showed why some, including Gregario Forza, believes he may be the next Purito.

Chapeau! to Andre Greipel. The Grape Ape dominated the People’s Classic as well as won three stages in the TdU. I can’t wait to see Greipel’s train go up against Omega-Quickstep and the Manx Missile in this year’s tour. It seems that there is someone who can finally match Cav in the final 200. 

Chapeau! to Geraint Thomas. The Commish was seen looking like a wise old defending champ following the Corkscrew climb. Despite losing time to the Butcher on Old Willunga, Thomas fought back and cunningly grabbed intermediate sprint points and time to finish on the 3rd step of the podium. I can’t wait to see what the Penguin, yes that is his nickname, can bring to the classics. I am hoping he will support Eddy Bo Hag as well as the Bo Hag supported him this last week. Take that Commish!

Chapeau! to Simon Gerrans. The puncheur from Melbourne won the Old Willunga stage and showed a glimpse of the form he brought in 2012. It will be hard to repeat that success but another classics win is very likely for this crafty rider. 

Chapeau! to Tejay  van Garderen. TVG placed highest among the World Tour favorites at the Tour de San Luis. TVG kept up with the Argentinian alpinists, TT’d well, and TVG’d his way to a spot on the podium. TVG lines up for Paris-Nice next and I’m betting he will show well in the race to the sun.

The season’s first contra-performance goes to Phillipe Gilbert. Let me start by saying that I know this is a bit of unnecessary whining. However, dude got me excited by talking about how well he would do Down Under. I also understand that he crashed and lost time in an event that he had no or little control over and went out on the attack in the rainbow jersey. But, what really grinds my gears is that when asked about Old Willunga he said,  

"I cannot fight for nothing, If was top 10, my race would be different because I would be more focused, I knew I was not in the battle anymore so it's hard to concentrate on it and to make sacrifices. You have to go deep and then when you're not in the race I cannot find the motivation for this." 

C’mon man! Some random guy has you on his fantasy cycling team and could have used 6 points. Find the motivation!

Forza!

No comments:

Post a Comment