Friday, February 1, 2013

Panache


Winds of Qatar

The season has started and Team Wiskota Fantasy League riders have already been seen on the roads of Australia, Argentina, and now France as Etoile de Besseges has begun and kicked off the European season. Now we turn to the Middle East to watch the classics riders and the sprinters line up in Qatar and the puncheurs and grimpeurs head to Oman. Before we know it, Paris-Nice and the classics will begin. My fever is hot and it’s not the norovirus.

My favorite part of a new season is the speculation. I love hearing about the rider’s programmes, and talk of breakout riders. As a director-sportif in the WFL I am always scouting the future of cycling. Here's a look at 13 neo-pros for 2013. I personally like lil' Joe Drombowski. That dude looks like he's 12 and he will be flanking Sir Bradley Wiggins at the Giro. 2014 dynasty picks?

I also love the team presentations. A look at the new kits, new rides, and introduction to new riders. My favorite kit for 2013 is probably Omega-Quicksteps. Clean but not plain with a nice color scheme, cool championship kits, and now, twitter account names. Also check out Team IAM's kits, Heinrich Haussler will at least look good while under performing. I do love Gilbert's rainbow jersey and bike, I also love the changes made to Timmy Duggan's US championship kit.Way better than his Liquigas version.

One of the things that I both love and hate about the sport of cycling is that I am still learning and constantly deciphering the intricacies of the World Tour and pro cycling as a whole. I have been watching cycling since 2000. Like many Americans, I was drawn to the sport by Lance Armstrong, so my initial understanding of cycling was that the Tour de France was the be all, end all of this beautiful sport. Soon I was introduced to Paris-Roubaix, and the Epic Cycle Schedule featuring the Cyclism on Sundays thanks to OLN, Versus, and now the NBC Sports Network. Now, my spring and summer weekends are spent waking up before sunrise to stream a race that many have never heard of. I am constantly explaining to my Mrs. Forza, "this is the coolest race......, it's for the......., someday we need to go to........, look how beautiful it is". However it seems that I am still learning about new races, old races, the history, the tactics, and the structure. Have you ever tried  to explain the UCI World Tour to any one? How about to yourself? And it seems that more changes are underway. Bernard Eisel is a World Tour rider for Sky and he does not fully understand the World Tour. For a closer look at the confusing World Tour, read this

The Wiskota Fantasy League is a doper drama free zone but I do have  to note that Gregario Forza's Tour de France plans took a hit with Frank Schleck recieving a 1 year ban for having tested for a banned substance in his system. Back to the drawing board I guess.
 

Finally, I am looking forward to picking up some points at the Tour of Qatar. Eddy Bo Hag is gonna bag Team Forza some points in this one. I like Bo Hag to win it, Fabian second, and Flecha third. My guess is that Cav will win at least 3 stages but the strongmen will get into a split caused by an echelon and Bo Hag and Flecha will enjoy a free ride via Spartacus to the line. Classic.

Forza!




2 comments:

  1. Best Panache yet. Love the new format, links are sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of cyclist twitter accounts the WFL can be found on twitter at @TeamWiskota.

    ReplyDelete